Types of Sleep Disorders
Though there are more than 60 specific diagnoses of sleep disorders, they can be categorised into seven major categories, namely:
- Sleep-Related Breathing Disorder (SRBD) or Sleep Disordered Breathing (SDB) ~ breathing difficulty during sleep
- Insomnia ~ difficulty falling sleep and/or staying asleep
- Hypersomnia ~ excessive sleepiness during daytime
- Parasomnia ~ sleep walking, sleep talking, nightmares, night terrors etc.
- Circadian Rhythm Sleep-Wake Disorders (CRSD) ~ unable to sleep/wake at the times required for normal work/school/social needs, jet-lag, shift-work sleep disorder
- Sleep-Related Movement Disorders ~ legs cramps, restless legs syndrome (RLS), grind teeth in sleep (bruxism), etc.
- Other Sleep Disorders (isolated symptoms)